I made some pan-fried white fish for Paula and I last night. I just dipped the fish in some lightly-beaten egg and then dredged it in panko crumbs. I cooked it for about 3 minutes on each side in a non-stick skillet with some olive oil. That was the easiest part of dinner preparation. The other dish took a little bit more time. I had bought a cauliflower a week earlier and was looking for a recipe to cook that would use it up. After an internet search, I found Cheesy Cauliflower Tots. It was from Cooking Light. I improvised a little bit and that will be described below. Overall, they were quite tasty. Paula and I thought that they might have been a little better if there was a sauce or gravy to go with them. We will have them again on Wednesday when I cook steaks with a mushroom gravy so we will see that makes any difference.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (approximately)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped (Note: I didn’t have any pepper so I omitted this ingredient…)
- 1/2cup shredded part-skim mozzarella or shredded cheddar cheese (Note: I used mozzarella because I didn’t want to hide the flavor of the cauliflower.)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste (about a dash of each)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 375°. While the oven is heating, steam the cauliflower until the florets are fork-tender. Once the cauliflower is steamed, pulse it in a food processor until coarsely grated, about 5 pulses.
Combine all of the ingredients and stir together in a large mixing bowl.
Form form the tots into any shape you like. I chose balls but you could make them into the shape of “tater tots” for a more traditional look. Note: They will not expand when you cook them. Place the tots on the baking sheet one at a time after spraying the sheet with cooking spray.
Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the tots over. Bake for 10 more minutes, or until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!