Paula made dinner for me tonight. I spent the day volunteering at school. I had chosen the recipe, Spicy Pork Noodle Bowl, earlier in the week. It was a simple recipe and quite tasty. If you want to try it, here is what you will need:
- 1/2 package of thin Chinese rice noodles
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 6-8 ounces of ground pork
- 1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of chopped bread and butter pickles
- 2 tablespoons of pickle brine
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of chili-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of light brown sugar
- 1/2 of a cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of chopped grape tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles as the label directs. Drain and toss with a little bit of vegetable oil.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and the ginger. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, pickles and 2 tablespoons of each pickle brine and soy sauce and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree 3 the sesame seeds in a blender until finely ground, about 15 seconds. Add another the remaining of vegetable oil and puree until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of water, the chili-garlic sauce, and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of pickle brine and 1 teaspoon of ginger. Puree until combined.
Top each serving of noodles with the sesame dressing, pork, cucumbers and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Enjoy!