We met with our long time friends for diner today. These are our friends that have been meeting for the past 30+ years to enjoy each others company. It was our turn to make desert today so I made Paula’s recipe for “Wacky Chocolate Cake”. It really is one of the best recipes for a simple desert that you can ever make…especially if someone like myself can make it. After all, I am not the baker in our house and it turned out quite good!
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 2 cups of cold water
- Sift and mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (oil through water…)
- Mix well with a hand mixer at medium speed.
- Bake in a 13 x 9 inch pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
- After 40 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done. If not, keep baking at 3 minute intervals until the toothpick comes out clean.
This cake goes well with a simple sugar frosting. Mix powdered sugar and cream in a medium mixing bowl until they are thoroughly mixed and create a spreadable frosting. Spread over the top of the cake. It works best if you make the cake and let it rest overnight. Then add the frosting on the following day.