Paula and I enjoyed dinner together this afternoon. She needed to go to work for several hours in the afternoon but we were able to enjoy time together when she returned. After dinner, we played a game of Scrabble. We hadn’t played it since we returned from our trip so it seemed like a good thing to do.
I made Grilled Mustard Pork Chops with a Carrot Salad It was a recipe that I found in the most recent issue of Food Network magazine. It was quite tasty and it went well with one of my homemade rye IPAs. If you want to try this recipe, which was a most pleasant meal to enjoy in the summer, here is the recipe as I made it for just the two of us…
Ingredients (for two…)
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 1-inch thick pork chops
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 pound of carrots, graded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh chives or green onions
- 1/4 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Combine the brown sugar, paprika and mustard powder in a small bowl. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and rub the spice mixture all over the pork chops. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
Whisk the honey mustard, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the carrots, parsley, chives (or green onions) and sunflower seeds and toss well. Refrigerate the carrot salad while you cook the pork chops.
Lightly oil the grill grates. Grill the pork chops, covered, until marked, about 4 minutes per side. Uncover and cook until a thermometer inserted into the pork registers 145 degrees F, about 1 more minute. Serve with the carrot salad.